Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wrinkle Serums for the Crafty Reader


I always have trouble figuring out a subject to blog about. So I finally just decided to do topics that interest me and take suggestions from people who’d like to see something specific.

I have a confession to make. I haven’t purchased beauty products from a store in over four years, besides makeup (which I don’t purchase often and will likely be the subject of another blog). In 2011, sales of beauty products reached a whopping 426 billion. BILLION!!! Skin care represented the top seller with 27% of the market, followed closely by personal care, then makeup and hair care.

Several years ago I became concerned about what I was eating and what I was putting on my skin. When I finally broke down and looked at the ingredients, I decided there had to be a better way to reap the same benefits without the use of toxic ingredients and also save money in the process.

I found a method called OCM (Oil Cleansing Method). The link will take you to a tutorial from Crunchy Betty. It was hands down the best thing I’ve ever done for my skin and I never looked back. The tutorial breaks down exactly how to do it and what oils you can use. Although, keep in mind, it’s not an end all, be all. I tend to stick with straight Grapeseed oil for my routine.

As I became more comfortable with the routine, I decided to try my hands at moisturizers and serums. I have dry skin so I also normally use the Grapeseed oil for a moisturizer as well. People with normal to oily skin using the OCM might not have to use any additional moisturizer after they wash their face.

I wanted something for fine lines because I’m getting older. Yes, it happens to the best of us. And this is the point of the blog. I wanted to share the recipe I came up with for a wrinkle/anti-aging serum. I purchase all of my essential oils from reputable vendors, most often Mountain Rose Herbs.

I use a 1 ounce amber glass bottle with a dropper for this recipe.

You will need:

Jojoba Oil

Evening Primrose Oil

6 Vitamin E capsules

Carrot Seed Oil

Lavender Oil

Rose Oil (I use the cheaper rose oil – Rosa damascena) Regular rose oil can break the bank. You can also substitute Geranium oil

Neroli Oil – no sub for this one. I think it’s worth the investment. As with all oils, a little bit goes a long way.

Droppers and a small funnel unless you have a very steady hand. I do not.

In the bottle combine equal parts Jojoba and Evening Primrose Oils. I use about 2 tblspns of each.

Pierce and add 6 vitamin e capsules

Add 10 drops Carrot Seed Oil

Add 6 drops Neroli oil and 6 drops of Rose oil.

End with 6 drops of Lavender.

Once everything is combined, put the dropper top back on the bottle, close tightly and roll several times to combine the oils.

Before use, roll the bottle again to ensure it stays combined.

I use this any place where fine lines might creep up and also on my neck. As an added benefit, when you finish you can just rub the excess into your hands. I’ve noticed softer hands and longer nails by doing this. A little bit will go along way. I can take one drop and use it on both of my eyes and the corners of my lips.

Notes

When using essential oils, never use the same dropper for different oils unless you thoroughly clean it with alcohol.  

Always perform a skin test to ensure you don’t have a reaction to any of the oils.

Remember I am not a doctor nor a professional. Think of me like the crazy aunt that always brings booze to the family get-togethers.
 
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment